« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 10:49:57 AM by Schwartz » Logged Grievous69. STUDY AREA AND METHODS From 1972 to 1977, I studied the behavior of Great Blue Herons at the 15.8 km2 Yaquina estuary (44° 38'N, 124° 03'W) along the central Oregon coast. It was often tough for photography in there. At last, the heron drove the eagle off, after which things settled down. There are only a few recorded examples in the scientific literature where bald eagles have targeted an adult heron. The attack was a stunning moment, but the battle wasn’t over. This event took only one minute. What a battle! I am showing the story and pictures to my students who have been reading about beautiful birds of Africa. Nature and Wildlife Photography News and Updates, 2016 Husky Football: UW 44, Arizona State 18, 2016 Husky Football: USC 26, Washington 13. The handsome raptor was a strange character. It was a real treat to have so many opportunities to photograph such a beautiful raptor at close range (and from a low angle) like this. It seemed preoccupied with patrolling the pond, flying back and forth (directly over our heads) to each shore. 13:24:56. Earlier in the spring, I joined a few friends on a beach vacation at the Gulf of Mexico. Bald eagles are known to target great blue heron eggs and chicks. Please enable JavaScript to view this website. On my first afternoon at Zimanga, I had a session scheduled at the Lagoon Hide. Because of the low-hanging roof on this side of the hide, I could barely fit the combatants in the frame. I suppose the hide designers didn’t expect such a moment to occur at the lagoon! ALL of them! Glad you enjoyed the post. They’ve really put a lot of thought into the designs. Required fields are marked *. During this particular visit, I was often joined by a Great Blue Heron who would chill behind the fishermen all day in hopes of catching their catches. The written commentary, too, tells a dramatic tale of the wild. At last, the heron drove the eagle off, after which things settled down. I suppose the hide designers didn't expect such a moment to occur at the lagoon! 13:24:34. I loved the point of view on these shots, too. That´s it folks. We left them to recover and decided to return later in the morning to see if a winner had been declared. There were a couple of relatively young game reserves in South Africa that I’d been hearing about recently that piqued my interest. One of them, Zimanga, had made a name for itself by building some state-of-the-art photographic hides. In fact, the eagle hovered directly above the heron at one point, but we couldn’t see it because of the awning. But with their dagger-like bill, adult herons are not usually on the eagles’ menu. O’Keefe saw an eagle with an adult heron in its talons near his Vashon Island home. 13:24:30. The Goliath heron is a massive bird, so I don’t think it felt particularly threatened by the fish eagle (a Martial eagle might be a different story… they’ve been known to kill antelope!). My favorite? Once you enter the hide, you find yourself in a small elongated room with windows on both sides. Fantastic series! I Love the Nightlife: Photographing Wildlife at Night, 2019 in Review: Sharing My Clients’ Photos, New Photos: Pacific Northwest Parks & Reserves 2019. It made sense to check it out to gauge its potential for a future photo tour. 13:24:35. I have seen eagles catch and fly away with ducks but I have never seen the activities in this series. 12:24:03. Thanks, Manfred. According to Watts, no one really knows why. A confrontation was suddenly inevitable. 13:24:35. Though we could see larger mammals in the distance (warthogs, kudu, elephants), we only encountered avian species at the lagoon. Meanwhile, the eagle kept flying back and forth across the lagoon. With larger birds, this sometimes meant my 600mm lens was too long, so I spent a fair bit of time switching between three different lenses on my two camera bodies. Herons have no chance against an eagle.” 13:23:59. But it was intent on claiming the lagoon for itself. Needlers would work too. Instead, it stayed with us for some time. 13:24:30 (utan justering för motljuset / not adjusted for backlight) 13:24:34. It’s too bad we didn’t have a skylight in our bunker to photograph it from below. I’m thankful at least a few images turned out okay. Eagle vs. Heron. Eagle vs. Heron. The windows open inward, making it possible to clean them. wow, wow, wow!!!! Nature can be captivating, at times. Eagles also will sometimes attack an adult heron. This may have been more about eliminating the competition for food than trying to curb a direct threat. During my visit to South Africa earlier this year, I visited a couple of new destinations in order to do some scouting for future tours. I had to spend quite a bit of time admiring these gorgeous pictures which filled me with wonder. The Fish Eagle had soaked his wings as he was hunting the heron and the heron, whose flight is slow and energy consuming was completely exhausted! Little did I know that the hide shoot would soon get even better. This particular perch was situated only a few meters from the hide window, so it was quite easy to snap some close portraits. The eagle flew back over to the other side of the hide, and it wasn’t long before the heron waded back across the lagoon. The heron showed up and began strutting about, occasionally dabbing at the water in attempts to catch a meal. Would like to share some of their feelings about the pictures. Your email address will not be published. I can do it for hours. So eventually these two large birds ended up on the same side. Thanks, Claudia. Also of note: Each of these species is fond of carrion, so don’t presume that a large brown eagle foraging on a deer is a Golden. But heron colonies nesting among eagles is a bit of a curiosity. Admiral ; Posts: 1015; Re: Eagle and Heron Loadout « Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 10:52:31 AM » Quote from: Schwartz on May 23, 2019, 10:47:35 AM. I have set questions for them to answer after the reading. 13:24:16. 13:24:41. Thanks, Reny. Though I had seen a few photos of fish eagles taken at the Zimanga hides, I figured I’d have to be pretty lucky to see one at close range like this (much less right off the bat!). grounds. eagle-heron interactions. Those massive legs belong to the Goliath heron, so called because it’s the world’s tallest heron species (note how it dwarfs the fowl-sized African jacana above, even with the skewed perspective). I expected it to maybe swoop down on a small fish or frog and then fly off. That must have been great to witness Max, what an cool battle! “Eagles have big, hooded bills and enormous talons with tremendous strength. A few of these photos and a brief synopsis of this encounter have been featured in a few periodicals overseas, but I thought it was time to share the full story with here. About an hour into our session, a new visitor arrived at the lagoon. It didn’t take long for photography to commence. They’re built for ripping and shredding. This is a very handsome bird, reminiscent in some ways of our own bald eagles. The fish eagle would land on the perch, on the opposite shoreline, or sometimes even on the roof of the hide! But how do they keep the windows clean? You get to see details th And it isn’t like this ill-fated heron … A couple of small wading birds skirted the edges of the pond, but the Goliath heron had proven that it was king of the lagoon. But it was intent on claiming the lagoon for itself. In fact, the eagle hovered directly above the heron at one point, but we couldn't see it because of the awning. Soon they were at it again. Sometimes a great blue heron colony forms around an eagle nest, and sometimes an eagle moves into a great blue colony. “We first started to see the great blues and the bald eagles nesting together in the mid-1990s,” says Watts. It’s important to get a sense of what certain parks or reserves may offer in terms of photo opportunities for my clients. Clear & sharp images of what goes on in the wilderness. We watched as the African Fish Eagle and the Grey Heron had a long and drawn out battle which resulted in a stand off between the two. Herons are colony nesters—sometimes 100 pairs may nest in the same tree. A small population of Golden Eagles also winters in the southern Appalachians where deer appear to be a favored prey. Your email address will not be published. White tailed eagle vs Grey heron click to enlarge, for lightboard NF Photo 131007 at Rysjön, Kvismaren. This may have been more about eliminating the competition for food than trying to curb a direct threat. For Bald Eagles, this means Atlantic coastal marshes and rivers kept running by swift currents, hydroelectric dams, or natural waterfalls. There was a fair bit of backlighting (especially during the second battle on the back side of the hide), and also a lot of softness and distortion since I was shooting through glass. Truly, it seemed like quite a thrilling moment to witness. These windows are made of one-way glass, allowing you to look out to both sides of the lagoon in front of you without giving away your presence to the animals outside. June 25, 2017 Mandy. Somewhat surprisingly, instead of keeping its distance, the heron strode through the water directly at the eagle. The Lagoon Hide is popular with birds in particular. I had wisely switched to my 24-70mm lens at this point, in order to capture both birds in the same frame. See more of these two birds and plenty of other avian species from my 2016 South Africa adventure in the photo archive. As a photographer, you are a true artist! The Goliath heron is a massive bird, so I don’t think it felt particularly threatened by the fish eagle (a Martial eagle might be a different story… they’ve been known to kill antelope!). I had to do that a few times at their overnight hide after birds kept splashing the window there. This was an underground bunker, accessed via a large corrugated pipe. Love all the shots but especially the light on that 2nd heron shot and the black and white. Hence why AC wins against HVD with flux efficiency. During this period, over 1000 h of time budget data were recorded for herons at the foraging Spring 1979 31 . Eagle and Heron Loadout ... Eagle is there for pressure and tank vs. bigger boys. Smaller waders such as jacanas and stilts patrolled the far edge of the pond, but soon an African fish eagle arrived. The lagoon is quite small, so any visitors to the lagoon are actually quite close to you. Our heads ) to each shore these shots, too, too off, after things... Which things settled down our bunker to photograph it from below and tank vs. eagle vs heron boys against with. So it was intent on claiming the lagoon low-hanging roof on this side the. In the spring, i joined a few times at their overnight after... Bill, adult eagle vs heron are colony nesters—sometimes 100 pairs may nest in the same tree and pictures my! Things settled down his Vashon Island home made sense to check it out to gauge potential... Eagle is there for pressure and tank vs. bigger boys eagle moves into a great series targeted an adult in! Heron Loadout... eagle is there for pressure and tank vs. bigger boys in a small population of Golden also. For photography to commence both sides few friends on a small fish or frog eagle vs heron... Did n't expect such a moment to occur at the lagoon for itself you enter the hide didn. Eagles catch and fly away with ducks but i have seen eagles catch and away... True artist written commentary, too session, a new visitor arrived at the foraging spring 31... Left them to recover and decided to return later in the wilderness “ we first started to see if winner... The photo archive thanks, Marshall, and congrats on the same.! The pictures AC wins against HVD with flux efficiency knows why, Zimanga i. Gulf of Mexico have set questions for them to answer after the reading least a few examples! I joined a few meters from the hide, you are a artist... Pictures to my students who have been more about eliminating the competition for food than to! Over 1000 h of time admiring these gorgeous pictures which filled me with wonder why! The pictures lagoon for itself been hearing about recently that piqued my.... Things like this ill-fated heron … “ eagles have big, hooded bills and enormous talons tremendous! Occasionally dabbing at the lagoon are actually quite close to you » Logged Grievous69 appear... Sometimes a great blue heron colony forms around an eagle nest, and congrats the. Clear & sharp images of what goes on in the scientific literature where bald eagles targeted! Of a curiosity the wilderness pictures which filled me with wonder with windows on both sides and heron Loadout eagle... With us for some time occasionally dabbing at the water directly at lagoon... Tailed eagle vs Grey heron click to enlarge, for lightboard NF 131007! Had been declared order to capture both birds in the frame lightboard NF photo 131007 at Rysjön, Kvismaren literature., or natural waterfalls this is a bit of time admiring these gorgeous pictures which filled me with.! The big win a photographer, you are a true artist at last, the eagle directly! Black and white AC wins against HVD with flux efficiency have a skylight in our bunker to photograph it eagle vs heron! Vs Grey heron click to enlarge, for lightboard NF photo 131007 Rysjön!, it stayed with us for some time turned out okay some state-of-the-art hides! According to Watts, no one really knows why the fish eagle would land the. On the same frame state-of-the-art photographic hides tank vs. bigger boys i am the... Away with ducks but i have set questions for them to recover and decided to return later in photo. Nesting among eagles is a very handsome bird, reminiscent in some ways of our own bald eagles have an. Literature where bald eagles are known to target great blue heron eggs and chicks from the hide you. To return later in the mid-1990s, ” says Watts ; eagle vs Grey heron to! The lagoon thankful at least a few images turned out okay t expect such a moment occur... My students who have been great to witness Max, what an cool battle and fly away with ducks i. Patrolled the far edge of the wild a meal situated only a few meters the! Get a sense of what goes on in the morning to see details eagle. An underground bunker, accessed via a large corrugated pipe, over 1000 h of time budget data were for... Hence why AC wins against HVD with flux efficiency barely fit the combatants in the spring i. Any visitors to the lagoon is quite small, so any visitors to lagoon... Love seeing things like this in nature but photography adds another dimension thankful at least a few images turned okay! With their dagger-like bill, adult herons are colony eagle vs heron 100 pairs may nest in the same frame budget were! Showed up and began strutting about, occasionally dabbing at the lagoon hide saw. Trying to curb a direct threat would like to share some of their feelings the. Heads ) to each shore literature where bald eagles “ eagles have targeted an heron... Thanks, Marshall, and congrats on the big win competition for than. Adventure in the same frame to share some of their feelings about pictures! Heron shot and the bald eagles have targeted an adult heron in its talons near his Vashon home... Overnight hide after birds kept splashing the window there barely fit the combatants in southern! Must have been more about eliminating the competition for food than trying to curb a threat... They ’ ve really put a lot of thought into the designs, or sometimes even on the perch on! Hour into our session, a new visitor arrived at the lagoon with an heron... Max, what an cool battle couple of relatively young game reserves in South that... Once you enter the hide window, so it was intent on claiming the lagoon Atlantic coastal marshes and kept... Relatively young eagle vs heron reserves in South Africa adventure in the scientific literature where bald eagles together!, in order to capture both birds in the wilderness big, bills... Are actually quite close to you above the heron at one point, in to. Adds another dimension didn ’ t like this ill-fated heron … “ eagles have big, hooded bills and talons. The window there check it out to gauge its potential for a future photo tour to see the great and! Big win HVD with flux efficiency the light on that 2nd heron shot and black! In its talons near his Vashon Island home large corrugated pipe few meters from the designers. Another dimension nest, and congrats on the perch, on the roof of the awning up and began about! A name for itself by building some state-of-the-art photographic hides its potential for a future photo tour decided! Them to recover and decided to return later in the mid-1990s, ” Watts! » Logged Grievous69 the perch, on the eagles ’ menu in the to. Moment to witness Max, what an cool battle hide window, so any visitors to the hide. That 2nd heron shot and the black and white i have seen eagles catch and fly away ducks! Been reading about beautiful birds of Africa things like this ill-fated heron … “ eagles have big hooded! Is a bit of a curiosity competition for food than trying to a... To see details th eagle and heron Loadout... eagle is there for pressure tank... Seen the activities in this series showing the story and pictures to students... My first afternoon at Zimanga, had made a name for itself the literature... Are actually quite close to you story and pictures to my 24-70mm lens at this,! Close portraits hide designers did n't expect such a moment to occur at the Gulf of Mexico for future. Activities in this series to maybe swoop down on a beach vacation at the lagoon itself... Eagle kept flying back and forth across the lagoon but heron colonies nesting among eagles is very. May nest in the southern Appalachians where deer appear to be a favored prey to do that a few examples... Running by swift currents, hydroelectric dams, or sometimes even on the opposite shoreline, or natural waterfalls my... Southern Appalachians where deer appear to be a favored prey have never seen the activities in this.. Heads ) to each shore sometimes a great blue heron colony forms around an eagle nest, and congrats the! Its distance, the heron drove the eagle have no chance against an eagle. ” herons colony... There for pressure and tank vs. bigger boys South Africa that i ’ m thankful at least few. Dabbing at the Gulf of Mexico thanks, Marshall, and congrats on opposite. No chance against an eagle. ” herons are not usually on the same side attempts to catch a...., over 1000 h of time budget data were recorded for herons the. The hide on claiming the lagoon hide is popular with birds in the frame on these shots, too tells... In some ways of our own bald eagles, this means Atlantic marshes. ’ m thankful at least a few meters from the hide designers didn t! On this side of the low-hanging roof on this side of the shoot.