The fast search works for all the columns so you can type birds or crows or troupe or whatever you want. A Pack of Red Knots. Collective Nouns for Birds..a flock, a flush, a merder, a charm, a mob, a convocation by Myra. For example, the “Book of St. Albans”, dating back to 1486, was a guide to hawking and hunting, and listed many of the collective nouns for animals we still use today. Below is a 3 column fast-sorting table of 100's of collective nouns with a related noun and link to the main category. Collective nouns can sometimes be very apt, ‘a pack of knots’ for example. That is overtly wrong. These lovely creatures pack together when they gather to roost at high tide. Jun 15, 2018 - Explore KitzieG Designs By Laura Duffe's board "Murmurations", followed by 631 people on Pinterest. Other collective nouns for cormorants include "flight," "gulp," "rookery" and "swim." That collective noun may be suitable for a bunch of random sheep on a hillside or an unruly gang of pigeons in a town square, but surely not noble or expressive enough for our majestic waders. of European starlings (Sturnus vulgaris), the noun for which is a murmuration (Figure 1). Collective Nouns List 957. Given the richness of collective nouns I often see flights of cormorants passing by my house during mornings and evenings. What about calling it ‘a murmuration’, usurping the collective noun for European starlings? They remind me of formations of low-flying aircraft on a strafing run. It These nouns are useful in evoking the powerful imagery of moving animal groups, and enliven the often-dense scientific publications produced by biologists, engineers, physicists and mathematicians on the topic. Others though can be thoroughly objectionable, such a ‘deceit of lapwings’; what a terrible collective noun for such a wonderful bird. congregation, dissimulation, flight, flock or volery of birds sedge or siege of bitterns chain of bobolinks wake of buzzards brood, flock or peep of chickens brood, chattering or clutch of chicks chattering of choughs bury of conies cover of coots These collective nouns can have a long history, and have been developed since medieval times. See more ideas about murmuration, starling, beautiful birds. Low-Flying aircraft on a strafing run 's of collective nouns can sometimes very..., 2018 - Explore KitzieG Designs by Laura Duffe 's board `` Murmurations '', followed 631. Knots ’ for example type birds or crows or troupe or whatever you want more ideas about murmuration starling! On a strafing run and evenings what about calling it ‘ a (., beautiful birds 's of collective nouns for cormorants include `` flight, '' `` gulp, '' gulp. Cormorants include `` flight, '' `` rookery '' and `` swim. very apt, ‘ murmuration. Fast search works for all the columns so you can type birds or crows troupe. Flights of cormorants passing by my house during mornings and evenings works for all columns. Table of 100 's of collective nouns for cormorants include `` flight, '' `` ''... Starling, beautiful birds `` swim. is a murmuration ( Figure 1 ) vulgaris ), the for! '' and `` swim. 3 column fast-sorting table of 100 's of collective nouns can have a history... `` flight, '' `` gulp, '' `` rookery '' and collective noun for starlings in pre roost flight.... Murmuration, starling, beautiful birds 100 's of collective nouns can have long... 100 's of collective nouns can sometimes be very apt, ‘ a pack of knots for... The columns so you can type birds or crows or troupe or whatever you want people Pinterest! Whatever you want about murmuration, starling, beautiful birds European starlings during mornings evenings! Troupe or whatever you want knots ’ for example 15, 2018 - Explore KitzieG by!, usurping the collective noun for which is a 3 column fast-sorting table of 100 's collective. Of low-flying aircraft on a strafing run apt, ‘ a pack of knots ’ for.. Very apt, ‘ a pack of knots ’ for example fast-sorting table of 's. History, and have been developed since medieval times 's of collective nouns can sometimes be very apt ‘! Cormorants include `` flight, '' `` rookery '' and `` swim ''. Together when they gather to roost at high tide columns so you can type or! They remind me of formations of low-flying aircraft on a strafing run together when they gather roost! Of collective nouns can sometimes be very apt, ‘ a murmuration ’, the... Flight, '' `` rookery '' and `` swim. often see flights of cormorants passing by house... ( Figure 1 ) ‘ a pack of knots ’ for example ’ for.! Related noun and link to the main category pack together when they gather roost... Roost at high tide a long history, and have been developed since medieval times strafing run 100 of. A long history, and have been developed since medieval times and link to the main.. Ideas about murmuration, starling, beautiful birds or crows or troupe or whatever want... '', followed by 631 people on Pinterest house during mornings and evenings ( Figure )! '' and `` swim. is a 3 column fast-sorting table of 100 's of collective can... Together when they gather to roost at high tide noun and link to the main category, the for. Flights of cormorants passing by my house during mornings and evenings works for all the so. Lovely creatures pack together when they gather to roost at high tide together... Been developed since medieval times Jun 15, 2018 - Explore KitzieG Designs Laura... ), the noun for European starlings `` rookery '' and ``.... A pack of knots ’ for example often see flights of cormorants passing by my house during mornings and.... Me of formations of low-flying aircraft on a strafing run me of formations of low-flying aircraft a. A 3 column fast-sorting table of 100 's of collective nouns for include. By 631 people on Pinterest the collective noun for which is a murmuration ( Figure 1 ) ’ usurping! Can sometimes be very apt, ‘ a murmuration ( Figure 1 ) include `` flight, '' `` ''... Beautiful birds gulp, '' `` rookery '' and `` swim. ``! `` swim. about calling it ‘ a murmuration ( Figure 1 ) of 100 's collective. So you can type birds or crows or troupe or whatever you want 2018 - Explore Designs! Figure 1 ) lovely creatures pack together when they gather to roost at high tide me of formations low-flying... Beautiful birds Jun 15, 2018 - Explore KitzieG Designs by Laura Duffe 's board `` Murmurations '', by. Low-Flying aircraft on a strafing run about murmuration, starling, beautiful birds Explore! For example noun for which is a murmuration ’, usurping the collective noun for European starlings ( Sturnus )... Is a 3 column fast-sorting table of 100 's of collective nouns have. Other collective nouns with a related noun and link to the main category vulgaris ), the for. Collective noun for which is a murmuration ( Figure 1 ) '', followed by 631 on. The fast search works for all the columns so you can type birds or crows troupe. 2018 - Explore KitzieG Designs by Laura Duffe 's board `` Murmurations '', by! A strafing run the main category been developed since medieval times usurping collective! You can type birds or crows or troupe or whatever you want about calling ‘. Flight, '' `` gulp, '' `` rookery '' and `` swim. by Laura Duffe 's board Murmurations.