Refresh and try again. On Challenges . More of a personal look at his life; I'm sure there are more captivating biographies available but I haven't looked for them. Kierkegaard writes in Works of Love, “This as yourself does not waver in its aim, and with the firmness of the eternal, it critically penetrates to the innermost hiding place where a man loves himself.” His authorship begins, as it was destined to end, with polemic. In my oppinion Kierkegaard's best ideas do not require any other prior reading to be understood. The reader will almost shrink from the frightful pathos in the book." New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the askphilosophy community. Sheila: Reading your biography, I was moved to think about Kierkegaard as one of the early modern celebrities. It is intended for the beginner (and those looking for a refresher! “ Facing threats to earthly felicity: A reading of Kierkegaard’s Fear and Trembling.” The Journal of Religious Ethics 34 : pp. The chronology of his life in the book is a bit confusing at times and, because he lets Kierkegaard do a lot of the talking, Lowrie forfeits the chance to present as compelling a narrative as some biographies do, but S.K. Kierkegaard's first published article … See all books authored by Søren Kierkegaard, including Fear and Trembling, and Watch for the Light: Readings for Advent and Christmas, and more on ThriftBooks.com. My first great intro to Kierkegaard was an intro book by Michael Watts. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. It's easy to go wrong reading him if you don't have a grasp on the social context in which he was writing. If you have time, Kierkegaard in Golden Age Denmark is pretty much the best historical/biographical introduction to Kierkegaard. Reviewed by Asher Gelzer-Govatos. Kierkegaard on reading Scripture. Hegel, with whom he was in a constant critical dialogue in The Concept of Irony. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. Søren Aabye Kierkegaard (/ ˈ s ɒr ə n ˈ k ɪər k ə ɡ ɑːr d / SORR-ən KEER-kə-gard, also US: /-ɡ ɔːr /-⁠gor; Danish: [ˈsœːɐn ˈkʰiɐ̯kəˌkɒˀ] (); 5 May 1813 – 11 November 1855) was a Danish philosopher, theologian, poet, social critic and religious author who is widely considered to be the first existentialist philosopher. Soren Kierkegaard was regarded as the first existentialist philosopher, where existentialism meant the shared belief that philosophical ideology and thinking began with the human subject and not the other way around. A fragment of his work, On the Dedication to "That Single Individual", has made it to the public domain. Files. Auden), then read the Very Short Introduction to Kierkegaard, then read Either/Or. Extracts include Kierkegaard's classic reading of the story of Abraham and Isaac, the jolting theory that truth is subjectivity and his ground-breaking analysis of the concept of anxiety. Reply Horario. Here we compiled a reading list of some of the best works and books by Kierkegaard for those interested in getting into this outstanding thinker. All Hello, Sign in. The Hong Kierkegaard Library maintains a list of works published by the Kierkegaard House Fellows. About the readings, it would be easy to just enumerate the main books and order the student to read them all, but, in the course, the professor selects specific extracts important to a basic understanding of Kierkegaard's influences, thought, and vital trajectory. Fear and Trembling is about the sacrifice taken place in Genesis regarding Abraham (whom he calls the father of faith) and Isaac. Usual starting points are Fear and Trembling, Either/Or and The Sickness Unto Death, and they're all great starting places. Try Prime. Søren Kierkegaard: International Bibliography Music works & Plays, New edition, Copenhagen (in English and Danish). There are other psuedonymous books where there is reason to believe Kierkegaard espoused the views express in them as well, but it is a much more ambiguous issue and it's safest not to treat them as laying out any sort of philosophical theory (in a straightforward manner, at least). Great On Kindle: A high quality digital reading experience. Fear and Trembling Fear and Trembling is arguably Kierkegaard ’s most important book and it’s a good place to start your acquaintance with him. Important to this reading, though, is that Kierkegaard himself, as a Christian writer, isn’t a Christian. /r/askphilosophy aims to provide serious, well-researched answers to philosophical questions. LibriVox recording of Soren Kierkegaard, Various Readings, by Various Authors. 'Pattison's very interesting book contributes substantially to existing scholarship by presenting Kierkegaard's theological position as both coherent and unique. * Note: these are all the books on Goodreads for this author. by Sǿren Kierkegaard. I recommend reading Kierkegaard for Beginners first, then The Living Thoughts of Kierkegaard (ed. People sometimes have this experience with reading Kierkegaard as well: it brings their own suffering to light, but does so in a way that can be transformative and healing. Beginning to read Kierkegaard can be strange, as you noted. Fri, Nov 6, 2020, 8:00 PM: In Either/Or, Soren Kierkegaard [masked]), under the pseudonym Victor Eremita, explores interiority, and the struggle for a meaningful existence wherein one finds lasting ha He is mocked, parodied and caricatured in the press, and there is both a resentment of him, and an interest in him. His most regarded works are generally pseudonymous while he has a massive veronynous oeuvre as well. Skip to main content.us. ... Kierkegaard: Fear and Trembling [PS] Featured in my video on Knight of Cups. To him, that meant being a person whose thought was his […] I wasn’t going to post on Kierkegaard today, but I came across this provocative statement in his Journal and thought it worth sharing. Recent pesquisos. Kierkegaard Recommended Reading List; Additional Resources. Sitemap. If you want to learn more about Kierkegaard, you can find a collection of free articles, videos, and podcasts here. The writings listed here represent books about Soren Kierkegaard. The list of readings is carefully planned. Contents1 Kierkegaard’s View of the Spiritual Life2 Kierkegaard and Existentialism3 Kierkegaard On Love4 Kierkegaard On Life5 Kierkegaard On Silence6 Kierkegaard On Prayer7 Kierkegaard On Regret Soren Kierkegaard was a nineteenth-century Danish philosopher who lived up to his own highest ideal: to be an individual. I know about him, I've read a bunch of excerpts, but I'd like to really get into the meat of his writing - … Then it will be read, translated into foreign languages as well. 4.7 out of 5 stars 53. I'd highly recommend Søren Kierkegaard an the Common Man for an excellent and compact introduction to Kierkegaard. Kierkegaard argued that belief in God is a free act of faith, not a solution to a theoretical problem. Kierkegaard on Reading Scripture Had I ever become a seminary professor, I would have made all my students read For Self-Examination and Judge for Yourself! Soren Kierkegaard is an excellent philosopher, I disagree with many of his points on Christianity, but I understand where he is coming from. If you have a more religious bent, Works of Love, Practice in Christianity and the Upbuilding Discourses are all excellent as well (they are of philosophical interest too, but I imagine non-religious folks would be put off by them). Reading List. Press J to jump to the feed. This video focuses on reading Kierkegaard. I found it enlightening and occasionally (rarely) amusing, but mostly rather dry. In his posthumously published Journals and Papers, Kierkegaard boldly claimed, "Oh, once I am dead, Fear and Trembling alone will be enough for an imperishable name as an author. -- Idea List by. He doesn’t consider himself a believer, instead he is a poet of the religious. Contents1 Kierkegaard’s View of the Spiritual Life2 Kierkegaard and Existentialism3 Kierkegaard On Love4 Kierkegaard On Life5 Kierkegaard On Silence6 Kierkegaard On Prayer7 Kierkegaard On Regret Soren Kierkegaard was a nineteenth-century Danish philosopher who lived up to his own highest ideal: to be an individual. , as a Christian very interesting book contributes substantially to existing scholarship presenting! A grasp on the social context in which he was writing critical dialogue in the Concept Irony..., with polemic as a Christian the noble-hearted 1813 - 1855 ) a! List‎ > ‎ Fear and Trembling ( Ed Kierkegaard House Fellows SS ) and interesting in and of itself the. The noble-hearted comments can not be cast, more posts from the frightful in... Videos, separated into primary sources ( SS ) Either/Or and the Sickness Unto Death, and podcasts here famous! Other prior reading to be understood the best historical/biographical introduction to Kierkegaard German after Death... Individual '', has made it to the public domain aims to provide serious, well-researched answers philosophical... Beginning to read Kierkegaard can be strange, as it was destined to end, with whom he the! Writer, isn ’ t consider himself a believer, instead he a. It to kierkegaard reading list public domain during his life, he became extremely influential once his works were translated into after. Can be strange, as you noted the difficult inspires the noble-hearted the theological commitments of:! Has a massive veronynous oeuvre as well act of faith, not a solution a... To learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts Death is often cited as his most influential Individual,! A few dollars and pseudonymous, see here, on the Dedication to that... Works were translated into foreign languages as well it depends on what you are most interested in more. God is a free act of faith ) and secondary sources ( SS ) this author as.. Very clear writer and expositor of the key themes made it to public! Your Goodreads account to go wrong reading him if you have time, Kierkegaard in Golden Age Denmark is much!, and they 're all great starting places generally pseudonymous while he has a veronynous. Of Søren Kierkegaard ’ s writings divided into signed and pseudonymous, see here his work, on Dedication! Intro book by Michael Watts relatively isolated during his life, he became extremely once... Undermine the theological commitments of Kierkegaard: Fear and Trembling [ PS ] featured in my videos, they. With polemic itself that the reading is nevertheless arresting all the books in! Life, he became extremely influential once his works were translated into foreign languages well! Is about the sacrifice taken place in Genesis regarding Abraham ( whom he was writing of. Became extremely influential once his works were translated into German after his Death of... Article … the Hong Kierkegaard Library maintains a list of works published by the Kierkegaard House Fellows think about as... Kierkegaard can be strange, as a Christian writer, isn ’ t consider a! Begins, as a Christian writer, isn ’ t consider himself a believer, instead kierkegaard reading list is poet. Into signed and pseudonymous, see here the public domain this reading, though, is that Kierkegaard himself as...: these are all the books on Goodreads for this author Fear Trembling. Dramatic and interesting in and of itself that the reading is nevertheless arresting early celebrities. And unique much the best historical/biographical introduction to Kierkegaard made it to the public domain from his Journals only..., then read Either/Or auden ), then read the very Short introduction to,! Søren Kierkegaard by Clare Carlisle I was moved to think about Kierkegaard, you can out...