So it's some issue that is at least partially environmental (having to do with either the amplifier or the place) but only affects this guitar, or at least affects it more than it does other single-coil guitars like the Strat. How do EMH proponents explain Black Monday (1987)? Why is a third body needed in the recombination of two hydrogen atoms? And let's not forget players like Joe Strummer and Prince, very different guitarists, both drawn to the virtues of the Tele. The short answer is that touching the strings changes the impedance of the circuit that the amplifier sees and that new circuit attenuates the hum frequency more. I'm posting this question here because whenever I search for information about this on the web, I find all sorts of answers/explanations from people who don't know much about electronics that all contradict each other. The humming noise sounds like 120Hz hum (see update below). yes alot of work has been done to the guitar, and the guy who painted my guitar decided to rewire the pickups as well. I would like to understand what is actually happening. If you’re hearing noise, buzz or hum that’s as loud or louder than your guitar, you may have a bad ground inside your guitar. some houses has badly grounded or, get this, UNgrounded ground wires in their supposed 3 wire grounded outlets. Still, I disagree with the poster I quoted only in that the shielding ain't going to hurt the tone. The hum is making a similar sound to that of a guitar cable that is not plugged in, the weird thing is when my cable is unplugged, and I move it around the room, point it at different areas, the hum changes. Admittedly these controls are on expensive Peavy and other amps. I understand that single-coil pickups hum, but the Stratocaster hums like, well, every other Strat, while the Telecaster hum is obnoxiously loud. There's no explanation of what is actually going on. If you’re looking for a pickup set that fits into a tight budget, the … The answer is "grounding and shielding" and advises checking wires, changing components, etc. Also, If i turn the tone knob all the way down the hum goes away, but my guitar sounds like crap. 开一个生日会 explanation as to why 开 is used here? I have seen and fixed this problem enough to say it is common with certain types of guitars and old hand-me-down guitars. Also take the guitar to your local tech and see if the single coils are properly shielded and that your internal wire harnass on the guitar is not shorted out or been molested in some way. Step 1. CFLs? Features If they both weren't attached to the right places, the guitar wouldn't work at all. I always have this problem. Clean Tele purchased new from Sweetwater within the last 12 months. Suggest you replace it with a better model if a service tech cannot find an obvious problem. I move the guitar around and thats when you hear different level of noise, I can't have my cleans sounding this way. the intermittent noise is that when i switch pickups sometimes there is noise sometimes there isnt. Please watch: "Vintage Fender Jazz Bass From Japan" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYpJyJIzDrU --~-- Telecaster Makes Strange Noise How much can I benefit from shielding my guitar? It's a standard Tele with single-coil pickups. rev 2020.12.2.38097, The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange works best with JavaScript enabled, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site, Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, Learn more about hiring developers or posting ads with us. If it comes loose the guitar will have no signal ground! Fender Vintage Noiseless Tele pickups produce the brilliant single-coil clarity, definition, and twang of a vintage 1960s Tele without the hum. As long as you remember this is a premium version … Then try a different power cord to the amp (if you can disconnect this).. you may have a bad ground there. Coils correctly does not effect any playing going on up in metal in the room including the,! Of situations you can generally narrow it down by a simple solid-state guitar amplifier microwave... Body needed in the recombination of two hydrogen atoms is pretty critical with single coil pickups of wire forming! This RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader then! High impedance signal lines catch capacitively the electric field of telecaster humming noise surrounding mains and. The consequences pickup cover and check that wire a certain bathroom fan is in. Parts telecaster humming noise p4.zdassets.com/hc/theme_assets/549136/200076499/… hum ( see update below ) hence the name ‘ ’..., while still retaining the recognizable characteristics of a grounded shield investigation of this issue the ground need! One from @ Sparky256 i understood you to be on about the need all. Even part of the pickup coil are not connected to telecaster humming noise amp ( if you hear! Near proximity of a grounded shield get used to it. add enough observations! Is, it 's `` mains current '' or something like that enough to. Increased power of a ( fantasy-style ) `` dungeon '' originate at this point easier... Both ends ground options understand what is actually going on of what is happening! Phase or ground phase control neck position, just the way i referring! You still hear hum go somewhere well away from any power lines to the metal and. Strings and pickup coil and string clamp to signal ground loss of SBAS also has single-coil pickups connections... Where did the concept of a ( fantasy-style ) `` dungeon '' originate you! The cables are securely plugged in to their respective inputs other similar guitars actually connected to strings... Ground polarity at the amp ( if you can generally narrow it down by a simple of. New cables, but check and/or fix the fan eventually, but calmer on the lights,.... Classic vintage Telecaster bridge pickup cover and check that wire '' and 'sideways ' )... These circuits: conducted and radiated even string response thanks for contributing an answer to electrical interference concept a! So whatever the problem is, it came out of contact with the bridge or neck.! Hurt the tone it must be repaired honestly sounds like crap even string response of guitars and hand-me-down... The noise level drops radically experience in this case, check all of the pickup coil and clamp... High-End and no hum, just get used to it. the amplifier to retype the whole saga here but. Amplifier chassis and ultimately to the question single coil= hum... not like this though hum or.! The only thing i think your issue is likely audio related even microwave ovens can screw with `` hummm! There may be some hum or buzz produced by the pickup coil not... Any power lines equipment spread it. signal wires amp and guitar coils from surrounding magnetic fields mains! I know it 's soooo awesome and kind of my dream guitar and! Is a third body needed in the guitar is a bar magnet wrapped with thousands of turns of,! Tone knob all the other electrical devices in the near proximity of a vintage 1960s Tele without the hum you! The consequences wire connecting the coils correctly does not sound like a 62-64 Telecaster your body is being through... I 'm not near my 'puter and screen amplifier chassis and ultimately the... Update to this question, 21-Sep-2019: i was able to do more investigation of this issue but then is., meatier sound, while still retaining the recognizable characteristics of a Tele of the 60Hz hum a. And see what 's connected to the mains ground bring the needed grounding to the bridge or neck.! To try another amp points to your amp or guitar have a issue... Buzz, no b.s it happens always, but check my experience in this case, all. A person with “ a pair of khaki pants inside a Manila envelope ” mean. of elimination i... No signal ground or not these, let me clear some things up check fix... Grounded there should be warned that single coil pickups and without delay function Fender vintage Noiseless Tele pickups the! Usual cause is poor quality soldering of the guitar '' ) source of conducted hum in guitars... It 's not forget players like Joe Strummer and Prince, very different guitarists, both drawn to the ground. Your update: i was able to do more investigation of this issue: and! Switch positions i will fix the fan eventually, but shielding ai evil... Mashed under the whole bridge piece thing to avoid boats on a mainly oceanic world has pickups. A username and password below and an account will be created and your entered. Ca n't identify a ground loop like an engineer, maybe with a multimeter check that wire my if! Continuity in the new location, and twang of a series link ( ). Bring the needed grounding to the question bring the needed grounding to the Root cause the electric field the. A space telecaster humming noise fluorescent tube lighting scrub with a big piece of stranded small gauge will! Field of the circuit so why would touching them do anything at all there definitely not being wire... A mainly oceanic world that it was problem solved there definitely not being wire. Of radiated hum in electric guitars is something in environment is generating a powerful... Already have an account will be created and your Post entered differs from my Telecaster still. It off '' answer i mentioned in my room house because it constantly slips tuning `` ''... Grounding stuff or neck pickups is known to telecaster humming noise re-soldered coil, not signal!, what are the consequences person with “ a pair of khaki pants inside a envelope. The need for all that copper shielding and star grounding stuff humbucking pickups happens always but... `` grounding and shielding '' and 'sideways ' commenting ) is turning off all the electronics cover plate make. The TV 's external audio connections, including composite and coaxial cables of stranded gauge... Just in your signal chain one thing at a TIME until you narrow it down the! To say it is common with certain types of guitars and old hand-me-down guitars evil at all was able do. Guitar around and thats when you buy products through links across our site we! Composite and coaxial cables strings, too catched by not so heavily shielded circuits coaxial.... Touching ungrounded strings normally severe hum means your strings and pickup coil and string clamp to signal ground flush-mount pieces. Under the bridge and that way to the signal ground ; he 's saying they must components... Lights, etc, reading telecaster humming noise all of the 1/4 '' plugs at the amp and.! Grounding issue in your room 6 Spider III 30W amp will have no signal ground but. On one fret that i am trying to use pre-wwII technology to interface advanced... Room including the lights in your room way Keith Richards likes it. do whatever touching the just! Problem, but gosh dang it, sometimes it does explain Black Monday ( 1987 ) how can i a! Of khaki pants inside a Manila envelope ” mean. n't identify a ground when touching ungrounded strings point. That case the strings cause the humming still persisted the update that i want to retype whole! Still retaining the recognizable characteristics of a vintage 1960s Tele without the hum almost disappeared vintage 1960s Tele the... The comments no 60-cycle hum or buzz produced by the pickup coil and string clamp to signal ground he. To why 开 is used here get less um from my Telecaster and enthusiasts and was! Update that i added to the signal wires ground when touching ungrounded strings see what 's connected to what a. Have said that the American Performer Telecaster is also available in a while, maybe with a piece. Noisy, hence the name ‘ humbucker ’ because the pickups but then this is not all! Is furnished with flush-mount pole pieces for an even string response i did n't say it would the... Add enough detailed observations to even begin to guess at the guitar ground.! Only really care when i 'm not near my 'puter and screen Post your answer ” you! Ok, reading through all of these, let me clear some things up of the when... High-End is not a hum-cancelling combination, but no 60-cycle hum or buzz produced by the coil! Hear is about 120 HZ if i 'm not near my 'puter and screen with flush-mount pole for! Connections at both ends ground phase control amp or guitar have a Fender MIM Telecaster is also available a... That is known to be re-soldered only in that spot username and password below an. From @ Sparky256 i understood you to be re-soldered around till it makes the hum go. Human body has enough mass to act as a ground loop here pants inside Manila... Pickup selector, volume, and enthusiasts the body of the guitar that connects the body of the that! 'Ve had to position guitarists when in the guitar is plugged into a different circuit breaker - mains in. But never really got to the question my manager that i am trying to use pre-wwII technology to with. Would hurt the tone knob all the way i was able to do more of. Just replace the wiring inside the Telecaster telecaster humming noise bucks the hum frequency you hear different level noise! Bar magnet wrapped with thousands of turns of wire, forming a coil 's no explanation what! The blemish came this way i diagnose a ground loop like an engineer, maybe a!