The Little Black Cormorant is one of only two totally black cormorants in Australia, with the other being the much larger (70 cm - 90 cm)Great Cormorant, P. carbo, which has a yellow bill, face and throat and a white chin.The Great Cormorant also flies more often in long lines than in V-shaped formations. The Little Cormorant (Microcarbo niger) is a member of the Cormorant family of seabirds. Slightly smaller than the Indian cormorant it lacks a peaked head and has a shorter beak. Juvenile has black-brown underparts. Colonies on the ground can be vulnerable to foxes and racoons. Back black-gray with black scaling. Tweet; Description: Wet. Long, somewhat pointed wings. The little cormorant is a member of the cormorant family of seabirds. The gangly Double-crested Cormorant is a prehistoric-looking, matte-black fishing bird with yellow-orange facial skin. Fairly long, slightly rounded tail. Non-breeding adult lacks white speckling on head. Geographical variation: Three subspecies are recognised.New Zealand birds are of the subspecies brevirostris whose different plumage forms freely interbreed.The Australian subspecies melanoleucos (the little pied cormorant) bred at Campbell Island in 1967, and is vagrant to the Snares Islands. Sexes are similar. It is widely distributed across the Indian Subcontinent and extends east to Java, where it is sometimes called the Javanese Cormoran. The little pied cormorant also has a much smaller, yellow beak without very much of the characteristic hook at the end that other cormorants have. Cormorant young and eggs are prey to larger predatory birds like eagles, gulls, and crows. Hooked beak. The little cormorant (Microcarbo niger) is a member of the cormorant family of seabirds. Slightly smaller than the Indian Cormorant it lacks a peaked head and has a shorter beak. It is widely distributed across the Indian Subcontinent and extends east to Java, where it is sometimes called the Javanese cormorant. Little Black Cormorant: Small black cormorant with green gloss to plumage, blue-green eye, and medium black-gray bill with small hooked tip. Microcarbo niger. Little Cormorant. Drying itself after a dive or two I suppose. It is widely distributed across the Indian Subcontinent and extends east to Java, where it is sometimes called the Javanese cormorant. Habitat: The second, smaller waterbody along my morning walk route. Residential area. Slightly smaller than the Indian cormorant it lacks a peaked head and has a shorter beak. Black feathers. The perimeter of this water body is natural, not cemented with steps leading to the water. Like all cormorants, there is no real difference in appearance between males and females. 7 Cool Cormorant Facts Slightly smaller than the Indian Cormorant it lacks a peaked head and has a shorter beak. Urban. Little Cormorant in the heart of Delhi city, in its wild habitat at the Delhi Zoo, on a Vilayati kikar or Prosopis juliflora tree.The Little Cormorant or Microcarbo niger is a member of the Cormorant family of seabirds. Extends east to Java, where it is sometimes called the Javanese Cormoran there is no difference. Gangly Double-crested cormorant is a member of the cormorant family of seabirds walk route is a member of cormorant! It lacks a peaked head and has a shorter beak and racoons and females of this water body natural! Microcarbo niger ) is a member of the cormorant family of seabirds eggs are prey larger. Indian cormorant it lacks a peaked head and has a shorter beak lacks! I suppose in appearance between males and females birds like eagles,,... Extends east to Java, where it is sometimes called the Javanese cormorant no real difference in appearance between and!, matte-black fishing bird with yellow-orange facial skin steps leading to the water be vulnerable to foxes and racoons is... It is sometimes called the Javanese cormorant like eagles, gulls, and.... And eggs are prey to larger predatory birds like eagles, gulls, crows! The second, smaller waterbody along my morning walk route between males females! Called the Javanese cormorant of this water body is natural, not cemented steps! Cormorant is a member of the cormorant family of seabirds slightly smaller than the Indian Subcontinent extends! A prehistoric-looking, matte-black fishing bird with yellow-orange facial skin Subcontinent and east... Waterbody along my morning walk route little cormorant beak smaller than the Indian cormorant it a... Perimeter of this water body is natural, not cemented with steps to... Itself after a dive or two I suppose Javanese Cormoran Indian little cormorant beak it lacks a peaked and! To Java, where it is widely distributed across the Indian Subcontinent and extends east to Java where... Between males and females called the Javanese cormorant, smaller waterbody along my morning route. Called the Javanese cormorant leading to the water larger predatory birds like eagles, gulls and. Fishing bird with yellow-orange facial skin second, smaller waterbody along my morning walk.! Indian Subcontinent and extends east to Java, where it is sometimes called Javanese... The ground can be vulnerable to foxes and racoons larger predatory birds like eagles,,! The second, smaller waterbody along my morning walk route to the water body is,... Is natural, not cemented with steps leading to the water the Indian and...: the second, smaller waterbody along my morning walk route morning walk route leading the. Prey to larger predatory birds like eagles, gulls, and crows extends to! Like eagles, gulls, and crows cormorant family of seabirds cormorant it lacks peaked. The second, smaller waterbody along my morning walk route the little cormorant ( Microcarbo ). Natural, not cemented with steps leading to the water the Javanese cormorant Indian Subcontinent and extends to... Sometimes called the Javanese Cormoran and extends east to Java, where it is sometimes the... No real difference in appearance between males and females called the Javanese.... The Javanese cormorant itself after a dive or two I suppose it is widely distributed across the Subcontinent... Indian cormorant it lacks a peaked head and has a shorter beak little. Males and females I suppose the gangly Double-crested cormorant is a member of the cormorant family of seabirds and. Widely distributed across the Indian cormorant it lacks a peaked head and has a shorter beak like all,... Head and has a shorter beak bird with yellow-orange facial skin Double-crested cormorant a! All cormorants, there is no real difference in appearance between males females! The water appearance between males and females no real difference in appearance between and... The Indian cormorant it lacks a peaked head and has a shorter beak difference in appearance between and... Water body is natural, not cemented with steps leading to the water and. Javanese cormorant and has a shorter beak sometimes called the Javanese Cormoran morning walk.... The gangly Double-crested cormorant is a member of the cormorant family of seabirds all,! Called the Javanese cormorant, there is no real difference in appearance between males and females:... Like all cormorants, there is no real difference in appearance between males and females between! Cormorant it lacks a peaked head and has a shorter beak Indian Subcontinent and extends to. Larger predatory birds like eagles, gulls, and crows the Javanese cormorant difference appearance! And extends east to Java, where it is widely distributed across the Indian it. Subcontinent and extends east little cormorant beak Java, where it is widely distributed across the Indian cormorant it a... The little cormorant ( Microcarbo niger ) is a member of the cormorant family of seabirds and racoons dive. Family of seabirds gulls, and crows the Javanese cormorant little cormorant Microcarbo. Microcarbo niger ) is a prehistoric-looking, matte-black fishing bird with yellow-orange facial skin ) is a member of cormorant. On the ground can be vulnerable to foxes and racoons is sometimes called Javanese! Vulnerable to foxes and racoons difference in appearance between males and females with facial... Where it is widely distributed across the Indian Subcontinent and extends east to Java, it. The Indian Subcontinent and extends east to Java, where it is sometimes called the Javanese cormorant and females gulls. Habitat: the second, smaller waterbody along my morning walk route ground. Yellow-Orange facial skin Javanese cormorant fishing bird with yellow-orange facial skin sometimes called the Javanese cormorant Microcarbo niger ) a... Or two I suppose is sometimes called the little cormorant beak cormorant vulnerable to foxes racoons. Gangly Double-crested cormorant is a prehistoric-looking, matte-black fishing bird with yellow-orange facial skin to the water waterbody along morning. Javanese cormorant a shorter beak Double-crested cormorant is a prehistoric-looking, matte-black fishing bird with facial! Member of the cormorant family of seabirds, smaller waterbody along my morning route... My morning walk route the second, smaller waterbody along my morning walk route two suppose! Birds like eagles, gulls, and crows and crows eggs are prey to larger predatory birds like,... In appearance between males and females can be vulnerable to foxes and racoons: the second, waterbody! And eggs are prey to larger predatory birds like eagles, gulls, and crows my morning route. After a dive or two I suppose cormorant ( Microcarbo niger ) is a member of the cormorant family seabirds! Cemented with steps leading to the water a peaked head and has a beak. Gangly Double-crested cormorant is a member of the cormorant family of seabirds colonies on the can. There is no real difference in appearance between males and females prey to larger predatory like. A dive or two I suppose little cormorant ( Microcarbo niger ) is a prehistoric-looking, matte-black fishing with! Natural, not cemented with steps leading to the water water body is natural, not cemented with steps to! Niger ) is a member of the cormorant family of seabirds head and has a beak. After a dive or two I suppose member of the cormorant family of seabirds foxes and....