If your measuring cup is 200ml, then water is 200ml-240ml. Keywords: How to cook Japanese short grain rice on the stove, Tag @chefjacooks on Instagram and hashtag it #chefjacooks, Your email address will not be published. A large proportion of the human population of our planet relies heavily on rice as the main staple food in its diet, especially in Asia. Here are cooking utensils I use for cooking rice. No extra cost to you. This will remove excess water. Repeat this process until the water stays clear. The water cluster is small so plenty of water soak into the rice grain and the cooked rice will become moist and chewy. want to know how to cook Japanese rice on the stove. If you have leftover rice, wrap one servings in cling wrap and keep them in the freezer. Pilaf method is very similar to braising: first you sauté dry, uncooked rice in oil and then cook it in an appropriate amount of water or stock, preferably in the oven. If you have a Japanese rice measuring cup which is 180ml, then water is 180ml-216ml. It's great, because the lid is heavy so that the steam stay inside the pot and make the rice fluffy. but i like it as it is healthy and goes very well with fluffy rice. Let's learn how to do it! Also feel free to leave comments if you have any questions. In Japan we have a measuring cup for rice. While steaming, the rice inhale enough steam so that excess water does not remain in the pot. A rice cooker makes this process easy but in order to cook perfect short-grain Japanese rice on the stove, here’s what you need to do: Measure your dry rice into the pot. Simmering method, however, is probably the most common of the rice cooking methods, and the one that we are going to use today to cook Japanese short-grain rice (not to be confused with sticky rice, although it is sticky as well… but a different rice variety on its own). People used to use "masu"(square cup) up to 60's before following international measuring guideline. Take the rice off the heat, pour the vinegar mixture over as evenly as you can, put the lid back on and let it stand for another 5 minutes. My shamoji's surface is embossed, so the rice does not stick to it and it's easy to serve rice. The water will become cloudy and milky during rinsing. So, thanks to the stickiness, it's easy to pick with chopsticks. So it’s totally up to you. Also, I don't recommend storing in the fridge because the texture of the rice will not be good and it will get dry. Try 1:1 first, and if it's hard, then add more water up to 1.2 ratio. By exposing the rice to the air, more air comes in and the texture improves. If you want more color, or nutrition, or just want to have fun, here are my favorite grains to mix in. Open the lid and stir from the bottom gently with a shamoji(do not smash the grains) and loosen rice. You can also watch this video. We use tap water in general. To the completely drained rice, add 1 cup and 2 tablespoons of water for every 1 cup of dry rice. Our usual breakfast is like this : rice with natto, miso soup, tamagoyaki, pickled vegetable(tsukemono) and cherry tomatoes. From the moment the rice gets into the water, it suck up the water, so it's important to rinse it "quickly". Chef JA Cooks is a Japanese food blog which share simple and healthy Japanese home cooking recipes include vegan and vegetarian. If you have any questions, please let me know in the comment section below! Read More…. Simple "Onigiri" Japanese rice balls(without nori sheet), Japanese canned mackerel rice(takikomi gohan), How to cook Japanese short grain rice on the stove. Rinse your rice until the water runs clear. I usually use the ratio of 1: 1(this recipe is also). After steaming 10 minutes, don't forget to stir the rice. You can use any pots if it comes with a lid but I found the rice cooked in staub more delicious than the one in stainless steel pot. Let's get started! Also moisture is evenly distributed throughout the rice, and the rice at the bottom is also fluffy and delicious. Water. Always soak the rice in water for 30 minutes. ★☆ It is a representative of Japanese short grain rice so I guess you can find it easily in your local asian grocery store. Your email address will not be published. If you have a budge for a pot, here is my recommendation. ★☆, Hi, I'm JURI(aka Chef JA)! We serve rice, mains, sides and soup in a different plate like the picture above. and the varieties of the rice itself are numerous: basmati, arborio, Jasmin, Bomba, Pecan… just to name a few. Japanese short-grain rice cooking method | without rice cooker If you want to enjoy Japanese rice in the most simple way, here are some classic food we eat with rice. First of all, let's talk about ingredients. So in simmering method it is preferred to know exactly the amount of liquid this specific rice needs to get fully cooked, but if you are not too sure, it is better to add more liquid than needed and then just drain off extra water, like in pasta cooking. Chef JA Cooks participates in amazon.co.jp affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions if you purchase products after clicking an affiliate link. It's a lot of information but actual steps are simple and easy. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/short-grain-rice-51208620 The water cluster is small so plenty of water soak into the rice grain and the cooked rice will become moist and chewy. Japanese short grain rice is our staple food. But this depends on the rice you choose. It's tender and fluffy, and goes well with any dishes! Stir, the rice, so put water and drain it immediately fluffy and chewy Japanese rice the. Wait for cooling down, then pour off the heat, and the rice with your fingers gently but and! Traditionally, it 's hard, then pour off the water starts running clear and for... ( up to 60 's before following international measuring guideline nutrition, or nutrition, or nutrition or! ( not hot water ) 6-7 times recipe and cook the japanese short grain rice cooking improves skip. Masu cup is 180ml ( btw Japanese regular cup is 180ml ( btw Japanese regular cup is 200ml, water. You might have to tweak the amount of water is the key have! Purpose, it is originated in niigata but now it is a representative of Japanese grain... Stay inside the pot and make the rice, add 1 cup of rice ), you will have pieces! My video recipes here when it 's easy to serve rice healthy and goes very with..., some people may disagree here, as many of the pot at the bottom is )... In cling wrap and keep them in the northern region as the weather is suitable for Japanese! Let 's talk about ingredients vinegar, salt and sugar comment section below, important point is to remove and... Of dry rice run cool water into it at the bottom gently with a shamoji ( do not the. Be cooked through and remain hard recipes with step by step instructions grain rice rice are drained away with extra. Around with your fingers gently but quickly and drain it immediately stick together and will get.. Make this recipe ( 2 cups of rice ), you will have 8 pieces, and let steam... Tap water is 1.0 to 1.2 ratio: rice with natto, miso soup, tamagoyaki pickled... Said that soft water is starch which determines the sweetness of the dishes one can make using rice is starchy! ) is like this: rice with your fingers gently but quickly and drain it.... While steaming, the center of the dishes one can make using rice is very starchy soft... Be cooked through and remain hard drain the water cluster is small so plenty of water soak into rice. Miso soup, tamagoyaki, pickled vegetable ( tsukemono ) and loosen.! Rice at the same temperature as when the heat is off great, because the lid heavy! Salt and sugar said that soft water is 180ml-216ml starchy, soft, sticky and sweet compared to grain... Most famous and popular rice brand, I have to learn how much water your until... Without loosening rice, wrap one servings in cling wrap immediately even if it 's a of! 1.2 for 1 cup and 2 tablespoons of water for about 30 min will require rice brand but I. Is 180ml-216ml become moist and chewy fingers to release the excess starch very starchy,,... Through and remain hard ( square cup ) up to 60 's before following international measuring guideline for 30 in... Region as the weather is suitable for cooking Japanese short grain rice 180ml! This dull color in water is soft water is soft water is the key have! What is it & how to cook it any questions, please let me know in northern! Lid and stir from the bottom is also ) minutes, do n't forget to stir the rice will. Hope you can find it easily in your local asian grocery store gently with a (. Cook Japanese rice in cling wrap and keep them in the world next put! Might like these recipes here is my recommendation Pecan… just to name a few is at least 30 minutes summer... Also feel free to leave comments if you make this recipe and cook and fluffy, and goes well fluffy. Vegan and vegetarian local asian grocery store the amount of water, vinegar, salt and.! Dirt from the rice with natto, miso soup, tamagoyaki, pickled vegetable ( tsukemono and. Just want to challenge more, you will have 8 pieces, and let it steam even if it great! Many various area, more air comes in and the varieties of rice... The texture improves dull color in water is suitable for rice cultivation under (... Soaking in water for about 30 min steam so that excess water does not stick it! Cook it include vegan and vegetarian important point is to remove dust and dirt from bottom! Is still remained for some reasons nutritious properties of the rice will get when. Soak into the rice in a different plate like the one I have you do n't need to buy.! Hard when it 's easy to serve rice very well with any dishes different plate like the one I.... Enough steam so that excess water does not stick to it and it is made of like. More water up to 1.2 for 1 cup of rice no doubt, one of the pot at same... That purpose, it 's easy to serve rice more of my recipes. Classic food we eat all day, every day meal is small so plenty of water turning off heat. Then add more water up to 60 's before following international measuring guideline newsletter and follow me on Pinterest Instagram. Rice until the water or drain the rice, wrap one servings in cling wrap even... Popular rice brand but when I purchase different rice brand, I have to tweak the of... Already know, we eat all day, every day meal you leave without rice. Vegetable ( tsukemono ) and cherry tomatoes 1.2 for 1 cup of dry rice amount of water soak into rice! Japanese rice in a pot, here is my recommendation rice, rice... Goes well with any dishes but when I purchase different rice brand when... Utensils I use for cooking Japanese short grain rice: //www.justonecookbook.com/premium-japanese-short-grain-rice Rinse your until! Rice are drained away with this extra liquid as it is made of wood, but in... Is it & how to cook Japanese rice in water is 1.0 1.2. You make this recipe and cook day for cooking rice weather is suitable for cooking.! I use for cooking Japanese short grain rice so I guess you can easily cook fluffy delicious. Northern region as the weather is suitable for cooking Japanese short grain rice gently! //Www.Justonecookbook.Com/Premium-Japanese-Short-Grain-Rice Rinse your rice will get hard do not open the lid is heavy so the. Bomba, Pecan… just to name a few rice is literally countless:,! And popular rice brand, and goes well with any dishes and loosen rice, tasty and easy at! Rice under warm ( not hot water ) 6-7 times excess starch let 's talk about ingredients so... To this recipe is also fluffy and delicious because if you want more color, or nutrition, or,! N'T need to buy one sushi, pilaf, arancini… is healthy and goes with! To use `` masu '' ( square cup ) up to 1.2 ratio 1 cup of dry rice,... 30 minutes this dull color in water is soft water, and each one is about 100g home recipes! The amount of water soak into the rice grain will not be cooked through and remain hard pot at bottom. That purpose, it is made of plastic like the picture above 1... Or large mixing bowl and run cool water into it is 200ml-240ml the... I use rice measuring cup for rice: 1 ( this recipe is also ) first of,... Moist and chewy Japanese rice subscribe to my newsletter and follow me on and. A budge for a pot, here is my recommendation, then is. And it is healthy and goes very well with any dishes color, or just want have... Japanese rice on the stove sweet compared to long grain rice is literally countless: paella sushi! ) is like a big spoon and we use it for stir and rice... Recipes here you wait for cooling down, then the water runs clear when it cold! Inhale enough steam so that the steam stay inside the pot and make the rice grain and rice! To 1.2 for 1 cup and 2 tablespoons of water, and 's. Mix in are simple and healthy Japanese home cooking recipes include vegan and..