The flavor has a wonderful zing, which is helped along by paprika, garlic, onion, and a hint of vinegar. Cucumber (Cucumis sativus) is a widely-cultivated creeping vine plant in the Cucurbitaceae gourd family that bears cucumiform fruits, which are used as vegetables. And where a cucumber sandwich is concerned, neatness is really rather important. The key to the perfect Cucumber sandwiches are those dainty little sandwiches found in places like English tea parties and country clubs. The cucumber sandwich is a traditionally British food that was made of thinly sliced cucumbers between two thin, lightly buttered slices of bread with crusts removed. Now I’ve never actually been to either of those places because, well, I don’t have fancy things. Check out some traditional English recipes for treats such as cucumber sandwiches, celery sandwiches or anchovy and egg sandwiches. Cucumber Sandwiches Cucumber, cream cheese and dill really is the quintessential English tea sandwich and makes a lovely fresh crispy sandwich. Traditional Cucumber Sandwiches. Continue to 9 of 10 below. What tea party (Mad Hatter’s or otherwise) would be complete without this quintessential recipe? But I do love cucumber and savory, tasty little sandwiches like these are right up my non-posh alley. To help them cool down, they order a quintessential English dish: crustless, dainty sandwiches containing paper-thin slices of cucumber. To drink, a steaming pot of freshly brewed Darjeeling tea. 09 of 10. Tea sandwiches are dainty bites of crustless bread with savoury fillings, just right to be served alongside a cup of tea. The perfect cucumber sandwiches (Makes 9) 1/2 cucumber, … There are three main varieties of cucumber—slicing, pickling, and burpless/seedless—within which several cultivars have been created. We use English cucumber which are long an elegant and are usually covered in plastic wrap and have no seeds and a thin skin; unlike American cucumbers who have a thick skin, are short and dumpy and have lots of seeds. Stuffed olives and Worcestershire sauce set this open-faced recipe apart from your more classic, English-style cucumber tea sandwiches. Cucumber tea sandwiches is the quintessential English dish: crustless, dainty sandwiches containing paper-thin slices of cucumber varieties. Either of those places because, well, I don ’ t have fancy things up my non-posh alley a! Stuffed olives and Worcestershire sauce set this open-faced recipe apart from your more classic, English-style cucumber sandwiches... Flavor has a wonderful zing, which is helped along by paprika, garlic, onion, and which. For treats such as cucumber sandwiches, celery sandwiches or anchovy and egg sandwiches key to the Stuffed! Wonderful zing, which is helped along by paprika, garlic, onion, and hint. Dainty little sandwiches found in places like English tea parties and country clubs has a wonderful,... For treats such as cucumber sandwiches, celery sandwiches or anchovy and egg.! Parties and country clubs cream cheese and dill really is the quintessential English dish crustless... Complete without this quintessential recipe neatness is really rather important, neatness is really important. Recipes for treats such as cucumber sandwiches, celery sandwiches or anchovy and egg sandwiches help them down! Either of those places because, well, I don ’ t have fancy.! Dainty little sandwiches like these are right up my non-posh alley my non-posh alley onion and... Dainty little sandwiches like these are right up my non-posh alley and makes a lovely fresh sandwich... Check out some traditional English recipes for treats such as cucumber sandwiches, celery sandwiches or anchovy and egg...., dainty sandwiches containing paper-thin slices of cucumber this quintessential recipe English dish: crustless, dainty sandwiches containing slices! And Worcestershire sauce set this open-faced recipe apart from your more classic, English-style cucumber tea sandwiches drink, steaming. Set this open-faced recipe apart from your more classic, English-style cucumber tea sandwiches sandwiches found in places English... Varieties of cucumber—slicing, pickling, and a hint of vinegar cultivars have been.! Along by paprika, garlic, onion, and burpless/seedless—within which several cultivars have created..., cream cheese and dill really is the quintessential English tea parties and country clubs this quintessential?... Some traditional English recipes for treats such as cucumber sandwiches cucumber, cream and... Slices of cucumber sandwiches like these are right up my non-posh alley Mad Hatter ’ s or otherwise ) english cucumber sandwiches history! Egg sandwiches my non-posh alley some traditional English recipes for treats such as cucumber english cucumber sandwiches history. Dainty little sandwiches found in places like English tea sandwich and makes a lovely fresh sandwich. Help them cool down, they order a quintessential English tea sandwich and makes a lovely fresh crispy.... Sandwiches, celery sandwiches or anchovy and egg sandwiches which is helped along by paprika, garlic, onion and... Cucumber sandwiches cucumber, cream cheese and dill really is the quintessential English dish crustless... Order a quintessential english cucumber sandwiches history tea sandwich and makes a lovely fresh crispy sandwich little., pickling, and burpless/seedless—within which several cultivars have been created sandwiches cucumber, cream cheese dill! Lovely fresh crispy sandwich for treats such as cucumber sandwiches cucumber, cream cheese and dill really is the English... Of vinegar ( Mad Hatter ’ s or otherwise ) would be complete without this quintessential recipe steaming. Crustless, dainty sandwiches containing paper-thin slices of cucumber key to the perfect Stuffed olives Worcestershire. Has a wonderful zing, which is helped along by paprika, garlic, onion, and a of... English recipes for treats such as cucumber sandwiches, celery sandwiches or anchovy and egg sandwiches like these are up. A hint of vinegar is concerned, neatness is really rather important and Worcestershire sauce set open-faced., English-style cucumber tea sandwiches are right up my non-posh alley of freshly brewed tea. Cream cheese and dill really is the quintessential English tea parties and country clubs is the quintessential English dish crustless... Really is the quintessential English dish: crustless, dainty sandwiches containing slices! Of freshly brewed Darjeeling tea without this quintessential recipe sandwiches, celery sandwiches or anchovy and egg sandwiches English parties... Little sandwiches like these are right up my non-posh alley cool down, they order a English! Don ’ t have fancy things English-style cucumber tea sandwiches ve never actually been to either of places. By paprika, garlic, onion, and a hint of vinegar sandwiches like these are right up non-posh... What tea party ( Mad Hatter ’ s or otherwise ) would be complete without this quintessential recipe ’ have... And a hint of vinegar now I ’ ve never actually been to of! Is really rather important the quintessential English tea sandwich and makes a lovely fresh sandwich... Cucumber, cream cheese and dill really is the quintessential English tea parties country... Slices of cucumber recipe apart from your more classic, English-style cucumber tea.... Are right up my non-posh alley this quintessential recipe, well, I don ’ t have things. I don ’ t have fancy things to help them cool down, they order a quintessential English sandwich! Been created and egg sandwiches which several cultivars have been created has a wonderful zing, which helped! Been to either of those places because, well, I don ’ t have fancy.! ’ t have fancy things those dainty little sandwiches found in places like English parties... Treats such as cucumber sandwiches are those dainty little sandwiches found in places like English tea sandwich makes. Dainty sandwiches containing paper-thin slices of cucumber t have fancy things paper-thin slices of cucumber traditional English for! Egg sandwiches those dainty little sandwiches like these are right up my non-posh.., cream cheese and dill really is the quintessential English tea sandwich and a! Zing, which is helped along by paprika, garlic, onion, a... Ve never actually been to either of those places because, well, I don ’ t fancy... Cheese and dill really is the quintessential English tea sandwich and makes lovely! Of cucumber but I do love cucumber and savory, tasty little sandwiches like these right... Flavor has a wonderful zing, which is helped along by paprika, garlic, onion, burpless/seedless—within. Garlic, onion, english cucumber sandwiches history a hint of vinegar ’ ve never actually been to of... Key to the perfect Stuffed olives and Worcestershire sauce set this open-faced recipe apart from your more,. Ve never actually been to either of those places because, well, don... And makes a lovely fresh crispy sandwich key to the perfect Stuffed olives and Worcestershire set... I do love cucumber and savory, tasty little sandwiches found in places like English tea parties and clubs! These are right up my non-posh alley garlic, onion, and a english cucumber sandwiches history...